Thursday, January 17, 2013

Patch It Up

If any of you have a 6 year old like mine then you know they can't even make it through half the year with out a hole in the knee of their jeans.  I will say I've only had to patch up pants a handful of times before now, must be kindergarten???

I started with 3 pairs of jeans with holes, or beginning of holes in the knees and had them all patched by lunch...ready to wear and wear he did.

First thing first, find a color of thread that most likely matched the color of the jeans, it doesn't have to be exact just close.


 
 
The next thing you will need to do is cut the seam on the side about 4 inches below and above the whole.  On adult jeans I usually don't need to do this but this little boy has skinny little legs so I need to.
 

The fist pair I am patching is going to have that monster face you've seen all over Pinterest.  I first did a pair like this last year and didn't sew around the patch, just used interfacing and it didn't stick.  You need to to use interfacing and you need to sew all the way around the patch, for this pair I used the matching thread and you can barley tell on the front.

Next you will want to cut some teeth, pin them to where they will fit out the whole and sew them in place.



 
The teeth and the eyes are made just from scraps of felt.  The red patch is from red flannel and you can use any type of interfacing you want to use.
 
Next you need to make some eyes, any type will do.  I just used larger white circles with smaller black ones for the pupils.  Pint them on and sew them in place.  Remember this does NOT have to be perfect!  The more imperfect it looks the better when it comes to little boy jeans!
 

Next you will want to cut the red (for the inside of the mouth) and add interfacing, iron it on a sew in place.  I usually like to iron the fabric on to the interfacing first but this time I got carried away and forgot.  Cut the patch from the fabric/interfacing and iron onto the back of the patch.  Remember to pull the teeth to the front of the "mouth" before you iron on the patch.




 
Now sew the jeans back shut.  Do a strait stitch down the side and then use a zig-zag stitch and the edge.  Flip right side out and wear!

 
 
 
You can't see much of the red but as he wears them it will start to show.
 
In my next post I'll show you how I did the other two patches that were a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment