Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Sewing Style

I am not a professional.  I feel like I really don't know that much about sewing.  I just started.  I guess I learned the basics, really just how to work a machine from my grandma and my mom, but everything else I have taught myself.  I have read a lot online on how to do different things, or learned a few tips.  I just had to look up the other day on how to do a french seam when making my roman shade for my kitchen. 

I really do feel like anyone can sew.  You can.  If you have a machine and are afraid to use it here is my advice.  Find some cheap fabric to practice on.  This can come from Walmart, sometimes they have fabric that is $1-$2 a yard.  It can come from a thrift store.  I buy flat bed sheets all the time there, If I'm drafting a pattern and aren't sure about it, I cut it from the sheet first.  If it does work I tear it apart ans use it as my pattern, if it doesn't it get tossed in the scrap pile for something else.  I really don't feel bad about it, it cost $1.99.  You don't feel bad about it either.  Sewing is like anything else, you just need to practice.

 I've been sewing pretty regular for about 4 years now.  When I started I rarely liked anything I made.  Now I am happy with most everything.  there are still many things I make that I don't like, it happens.  You just don't see them because i never post about it ;)

You don't need to be "crafty" to sew.  You need to just have some common sense I think. 

So next time your at that garage sale and you see a old machine for sale, ask if it works, make sure it works and bring it home.  There are so many videos that can teach you how to thread your machine, watch a  few of them and then just start sewing.  Please feel free to ask me questions, I love hearing them, and answering them!

You can sew too!

Okay enough pep talk.

Tomorrow I'll be back with something better!

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely one to ask you questions! If it comes to crocheting or knitting, I know all about those, but the sewing I am learning. You are right. There is a lot of information on the internet to find tutorials. I use YouTube a lot or find blogs. And yes you just need to grab a machine and sew. All I know about sewing is from my research and from my crafty friends. Thank goodness for the internet and blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete