Friday, January 18, 2013

Patch it Up #2

Yesterday we left off with the monster patch.  A little more detailed and time consuming, but still easy and cute for sure!  But I still has 2 more pairs to patch.  I wanted something a little easier and faster since I wanted to be done by lunch (and that's at 11:00 at our house).  I didn't want to just throw a denim patch on it like my grandma would of done...no offence grandma, I love you dearly but this kid needs to look hip!  I thought about doing a patch on both knees but decided to go for just 1 for now and can always add a second if I change my mind.  The first was just a simple oval patch with a little extra stitching to make it look "detailed"

 
But here I am getting ahead of myself...for your thread you don't have to have something that matches this time.  I went with a grey this time to go with the grey patch.  Interfacing does not stay through many washes so I wanted to 'contain' the whole in the knee a bit since he will still be using his knees this one is bound to go as well.  In order to fix the whole you will need to rip the side seam again.  Now don't go crazy and rip your kids jeans, use a seam ripper and nicely break the seam threads ;)
 
Get that whole under the foot of your machine and just go back and forth sewing over it.  Kind of like binding it back together.  This will not prevent it from ripping again but it will prolong the process.
 



Next up add your interfacing to you fabric, cut the shape you want and iron it on.  Then stitch around the edge, this one I did a zig-zag stick and added some strait stitching back and forth a little in the middle to give it some "style" if a patch can have style this guys got it.

 
 
The next pair I wanted different again from the other 2.  A boy needs choices.  I had this great left over fabric that I knew would go with many of his shirts he has for school.  The whole was off the the side a bit and I thought a hexagon shape lined up with the edge of his pants would do the trick. 
 
 Now don't go thinking that I can just draw up a hexagon, or any other fancy shape for that matter.  I did have a stencil that my sister-in-law "borrowed" me years ago...I'm still using it but if you ever want it back Nikki just let me know ;)  Any how it had a hexagon shape that I just traced out.  If I didn't have this I would of taken to the fabulous Internet, searched 'hexegon', printed out a shape and made the adjustments I needed to.  The one I had was a little small so I just cut about 1/2" around it to get the size I wanted.
 

 
Again (yes I know this is getting repetitive, just hang on there with me..I'm teaching ;) iron onto jeans, sew around edge.  Sew the jeans back you and your set!  This one I did more of a rough, messy, imperfect stitch just to give it a edge.
 



Try them on and he or she is set to walk out the door.


 
I thought they wen great with the shirt he was wearing!
 
So there you have it...3 pairs of patched jeans ready to be worn again.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment